Saturday, September 12

Absence and the Heart

Well hello Bloggers!
It's been quite a while, hasn't it? There are many excuses I could use to explain why I haven't written, but the reason I have chosen is priority.

Praise the Lord....I GOT A JOB! After 8 months of searching, God brought one to me! Since August I have been working at an accessory store called Pink Biju in Ontario Mills. I like it alright. Honestly, it's a little slow for my taste. Okay, it's very slow for my taste! I tend to get everything done super early and then there's nothing to do for four hours, so I'm learning how to pace myself. But even though it's not fast-paced like I would prefer, I'm so grateful for the work! I work a lot, 9:30 to 3:30, Mon-Sat. But I have every Sunday off and nights off, too so I have never missed a church service which is a huge answer to prayer! I really am grateful for the work! But, with working all day, I only have a couple hours before dinner, and church activities Wed. through Fri., church all day Sunday....I'm finding I don't have a ton of free time on my hands! The time I do have is usually designated for reading, or time with family or friends. Things like blogging have been put on the side. I miss reading everyone's blogs, I miss writing blogs, but when it comes down to it, I would much rather submerge myself into the writings of Tozer, or Tennyson, etc. But I got an email tonight saying I need to update my blog, haha, too true! So here I am! The question now is, does absence really make the heart grow fonder??? I don't know if these entries will become again a regular occurrence, but I'll try to keep blogging in mind for next time I'm looking for a simple activity.

Time to reflect a little...This year has been amazing! Filled with many new people and experiences and places and I have grown so much and been greatly blessed! But, it's also been the hardest year of my life and I don't see a break in the storm. I've been tried with a lot, and I'm ashamed to say that I have failed in many areas. Just a few weeks ago, I looked at my life and my family got our own apartment, I have a full time job, for which I never have to sacrifice church, I have a great, loving family, wonderful, uplifting friends, food, clothing, everything I need and so much beyond that. I allowed myself to breathe a sigh of relief. But then something else came. Another trial, and a painful one at that. Then another one immediately following. I couldn't understand. Things had been going so good. I examined my life and although I didn't see perfection, God didn't bring anything to mind that would explain the recent hardships. In a conversation with my mom, I expressed to her that I'm tired. I wish I were tougher, and none of this were phasing me. I wish I always did the right thing and never felt the affects of hardship. But it seems the whole year it's been trial after trial after trial, and at times I feel so worn out! Mom joked that I'm just a spiritual giant, right up there with Job! Haha, we had a good laugh at that! But then I thought about it. I look at people who've dealt with real trials, Job, and Paul in the Bible, what about Corrie Ten Boon, and all the Christian missionaries and martyrs of current times? No, I'm certainly not like those people. I'm no Job. But then it dawned on me. Maybe the reason God is allowing these struggles in my life is not because I'm like Job, but to make me like Job. So simple, but it took me so long to really see it in those simple terms. I must admit that I have not dealt with every situation correctly right away. God has taught me many lessons this year, and many of them I have not done right until after I've done wrong. I confess, I say I want to do better, but then another trial comes along and I fail Him again. I guess until I learn how to do right right away, God will have to keep teaching me, which may very well mean more struggle, more trials allowed in my life. But now that I see this truth, the hard times give me some hope. Hope because I know God promises to get me THROUGH the valley. Hope because He will NEVER forsake me. Hope because His grace is sufficient for me. And hope because maybe at the end, I can not only be a little more like Job, but I can be a little more like Him.

1 comment:

  1. Yea, a new post. :) I totally know what you mean about work being slow. :( I hope it gets busier for you soon!

    ReplyDelete