Wednesday, December 17

Umbrella's, Ginger Snap, and Bison


My second day home is quickly drawing to a close. Today it rained and rained.
At about eight-thirty this morning, I slowly started to stir at the sound of my parents soft voices
while my dad prepared to leave for work, as he had just received a call to come in that morning.
As I laid in bed, my brain started to catch up with my body which was starting to wake up, even though my eyes were still closed and hidden behind my sleeping mask.
A small smile grew on my tired face as I heard the sound of the rain beating on our roof. I could hear the water slapping the pavement outside, running into the gutters and washing into the storm drains at the end of the down-ward sloping street.
Back at school, I dread all things wet and cold, such as rain and strong wind, which of course we are no stranger to in Lancaster, CA. But here at home, I welcome the sound, smell, and sensation that comes with the falling rain.
So, I took my time getting ready this morning. Taking full advantage of the opportunity to procrastinate. I took a nice, long time with my devotions, and praise the Lord, was able to write down some answers to prayer which got replaced with more prayer requests and hopefully soon I will be able to cross those out and again write down some more.
Little things like emailing my friend and taking the dogs for a walk (in the blessed rain) took up the rest of my morning.
Wow! I sit here calmly typing on my laptop, lounging in the chair next to the tree, enjoying the colored lights from the Christmas tree, enjoying the sweet aroma of pine.
My brother is sitting next to me, and in the matter of a moment, Robb lets out a quite girlish shriek and jumps from his seat and starts to repeatedly beat the couch with book. He then proceeds to kick the chair with his humongous sneakers. After that attention grabbing act, my mom looks up and takes notice of the amusing scene unfolding right beside me and gently reminds my frazzled sibling that he is kicking the tan suede couch with his very large and rather filthy shoes. He subsides his irresponsible actions and catches his breath to explain that, horror above all other horrors, a HUGE spider savagely attacked his thigh!
Then, he has a terrifying realization:
the spider may very well still be making residence on his leg!
This results in a spastic dance to make sure that any residing creatures are flung onto the floor to be trampled underfoot. But alas, no such critter is to be found, and we are all left to wonder where it is making its new home. My mother and grandmother show a slight level of concern for my well-being and suggest a location change for me, as I am sitting in the next seat over from where the ambush took place just minutes before, but as I am quite comfy, I see no reason to move over something so trivial as a spider.

Continuing on with my only slightly eventful day:
Late in the afternoon, my frustrated papa is restless and bored, feeling rather cooped-up,
and suggests that he takes Robb and I out for coffee. Well, what soul in his right mind would say no to a trip to a coffee shop? Even for those of us individuals (and as of yet I still have not decided whether this is a blessing or a curse)
who detest or maybe slightly dislike coffee, finding it to be bitter, gross, vile, and sickly addicting for those who do like it, the trip would be appealing for there are always non-coffee drinks, even if one is forced to have a simple cup of Hot Chocolate (which in my opinion is delightful).
So, I put on my cute tan, suede winter boots that lace-up and are graced with cream-colored fur at the top, I basically live in these during the winter season.
The three of us headed out the door and I ran and slipped into the passenger seat of my grandparents burgundy Buick.
We drove down to Victoria Gardens and walked down the slick, rain stained pavement.
I am not a huge fan of umbrella's, so of course my preference is not walking under the cover of one. But, my grandpa seemed to be going out of his way to be a gentleman, making sure that the little lady (that being me) was well taken care of. So, I put on a smile and walked under the safe cover of the large black umbrella, almost being blown straight up into the dark cloudy gray sky when a strong gust of wind decided to attack me with all it's might! What a hard choice, save the umbrella and possibly my life, or try not to flash the two cute guys passing me on the sidewalk. Oh, decisions are so hard!

We continued on past the shocked pedestrians and darted into the wondrous sanctum of Starbucks. Out of the pouring rain and into the down-pour of sweet aroma and warm drinks topped in fluffy whipped cream. Times like this, I am reminded that Jesus loves me. ;)
So many choices. . .new Christmas drinks advertised on creatively decorated chalk boards all offered such strong temptation. After a strong internal battle, not necessarily between good and evil, nor the good, the bad and the ugly. But a battle between good better and best.
Which reminds me of one of my favorite sayings:
Good, Better, Best, never let it rest
Until your good is better
And your better best.
Well, my best was a Gingersnap Latte. I do not like coffee, so I am not sure why I ordered it.
Sometimes I am amazingly battled at my own thought process.
But even with my dislike of coffee, the latte won the battle of scrumptious sounding titles, so order and drink it I did. Over all I enjoyed the drink. The flavor was pleasant enough while I was drinking it, but in Starbucks fashion the taste grew bitter immediately after swallowing.

We then drove over to Pro Bass Shop, at least I think that is the name of the place.
Now you have to understand two very different characters in this story.
First: my grandfather is a hick and has a love for hunting and killing and shooting.
Second: I have to fight back tears when I see a stuffed deer or unrecognizable road-kill.
My brother is the third and final character in this scene, and as he is a city-boy, but still a boy, he is enjoying the guns and dead bison, bears, snakes, fish, elk and so forth that serve as the only decor on the floor, walls, and even the ceiling.
We walked around there for far too long in my opinion, and then finally left.


My thoughts on the store: to each his own.

This is basically the conclusion of my day.
Now I just sit here, energy from my too bitter latte dwindling.
I am warm and cosy on my couch, in my favorite seat,
while my mom chats and chuckles on the phone with a life-long friend
and my brother watches some odd crime show on TV.
Oh, I hope bed-time comes quickly!

Stay Tuned!




No comments:

Post a Comment