Sunday, February 22

Shattered Glass, Mercy and Over-Sleeping

Not sure if this is an allowed activity, but as I am writing this Titus is noisily gnawing on the table leg. Wow, he is really going at it, grunting and everything as he chews. I told him to stop, but he just stared at me for a moment, and I swear he rolled his eyes before he turned back and again preceded his enjoyed act of attacking the leg with his huge mouth!

Today is my last day house-sitting for the Harvey's. I am kind of sad. Am I going to miss the cat....certainly not! Will I miss the dogs? Doubt it (I do have two dogs of my own at home). Am I going to miss being alone...so very alone? No, the house does feel pretty empty sometimes. But I am going to miss this freedom. I feel like an adult. Like I'm a little kid playing house! I get to be responsible to take care of myself and animals! I feed the dogs and the cat, and myself. I run the house....I feel so grown up! And tomorrow I go back to being a kid. At home I still feed myself, I clean up around the house, I feed the dogs and take them for daily walks and am even privileged enough to clean up their dung! But it's different, and I like being on my own. One day. . . .

I don't have my own car here. Mom and Dad (and Robb, don't wanna leave you out) said they would pick me up at 9:15 for church, since Dad needs to be there by 9:20. No problemo, right? I showered last night and put my hair in braids so no work necessary with it in the morning, and I planned to get up at 7:30 to give myself plenty of time to get ready, take care of the animals, do my devotions, and dog-proof the house before heading out for church. But I had the space heater on pretty high right next to me (I like to be really warm), and I think I got a little too cozy because when my alarm went off at 7:20, I tried to hit the snooze but couldn't find it (not my clock), and so turned it off and was back asleep instantaneously!!! Yea, I was out pretty hard, so was confused when Titus was barking. I was wondering why he was barking so early in the morning, and couldn't seem to remember what day it was. Oh, right. Saturday, work day today. Wait, no. That sounds too familiar, oh that's because I already lived that day! Today is Sunday! Sunday. . . .I have to get ready. What time is it? I fell back asleep. . . . .AAAAHHHHH! It's 9:35!!! Drat! So I realized that Titus was barking because my ride was knocking on the door! Gasp.....why did I have to oversleep! Ugh! I sprang out of bed and bolted for the door to find Robb there with his jaw hanging open when he saw that I was adorned in striped pj's, messy hair, and sleeping mask pushed up on forehead! I tried to speak, but my voice was gone and upon opening the door, it was all I could do to utter the words "oh no! Go get Mom! I need Mom!!!" So Mom comes to the door and is likewise puzzled and taken aback by my new look. No, I am not trying to start a "just-out-of-bed" trend. I JUST WOKE UP!!! And yet surprisingly, panic does not grip me. I remain calm...I don't know how....yes I do....God's grace! So I ran into the bathroom, put toothpaste on my toothbrush on began brushing while I ran into the kitchen and pulled down the dogs medicine so I could feed them. Titus takes a couple pills in his food, Calvin is older thus needs more (I mean a LOT more pills with each of his two meals) and so his pills must be stuffed into a marshmallow and thrown into his food dish. So I turn 'round and go to the jar that holds the marshmallows and grab the top to take the lid off. I give it a tug, but the lid stays in place and the front of the glass jar breaks and goes flying at me and across the floor! Ugh, not what I need at this hurried moment! So I bend over and start to pick up the fragments of jar, but Mom takes over for me while I finish getting the dogs food and she also helps by getting them water! Phew! Two down, one animal to go! I grab the cat food out of the fridge and throw some onto the plate and send Robb into the closet to lay it out for him. There is no way I would be able to jump the baby-gate that is in the doorway in my pencil skirt (I did change somewhere in there, no I don't sleep in a pencil skirt!). So I grab my makeup bag and the rest of my affects and scurry out the door, leaving the slobbery canines and hissy feline behind! Thankfully, God has blessed me with merciful parents and they were understanding and forgiving....I honestly think it helps that my voice was gone! People are so much more merciful when you sound like you're dying!~

3 comments:

  1. Way too much fun for one day, SJ! ):

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're telling me! I also forgot to add in there, that while I was leaning down to pick up the glass off the floor, Titus came and tried to sniff it, but then he jerked his head up, and wacked me right in the eye! He hit me so hard I fell down and then was stumbling around holding my eye! I think 'twould have hurt worse had I not been wearing protective goggles/glasses!!! Yeah, I had a headache after that blow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ouch, that would def hurt!

    ReplyDelete